Wednesday, February 9, 2011

treasure.

the topic of this blog was born from a very random and seemingly shallow comment made last night between val and me. not shallow in the sense of unimportant, but shallow as to it not having deeper meaning to me until i had my quiet time. the Lord blessed me with giving my body the exact amount of rest it needed last night so He could wake me up an hour before my alarm and spend time. time of just me and Him. what a sweet and rare time to have, especially sense probably half of my day's thoughts and remarks are about having nap or getting adequate sleep. He takes care of me. and knows i can function today on one less hour of sleep because i started the morning resting in His Word. but i digress...


the "shallow" comment: valerie and i got to go to a free brandon heath concert last night. we suddenly had an urge afterwards to recreate what we made in my last post. [they are heaven, after all]. val suggested to me to change the recipe in a slight way. when we bit into them, there was an immediate difference in the composition and taste of the turnover. val stated "they were amazing before. but now theyre the best". that had me really thinking. i woke up to that thought. it makes me step back and refresh my views of things. the life we have on earth is all we know. so to us, the little perks are what we deem amazing- a good book, an amazing sunset, time with friends/family, finding love. these are all great things in and of themselves. but we as believers and followers are given the best. the best in every sense of the word. now, in being in Him, He makes all things we view- those good books and love- mean something. the Gospel is the best. the world we can not yet imagine this side of heaven is the best. and nothing beats the best. it was so refreshing and humbling to remember that. life was normal before, but now, being transformed and renewed, we are our best because of Who resides in us. we are a mere shell and means of transportation to let the Holy Spirit work in the world and share the Gospel to everyone


the verse He led me to this morning was aptly fitting to this lesson. 2 corinthians 4:6-7:
"for God, who said, 'let light shine out of darkness,' made His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.
but we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." 
something i learned today was that in bible times, people kept their most prized possessions in old, seemingly unattractive clay jars so as to not draw attention to the outside appearance. what was important lied on the inside. that is us. the beautiful image of the Gospel is within the most undeserving vessels. but that is the God we serve. He allows the clay pots to hold His treasure. i cant think of a thing more beautiful. He makes us His best. will you give your best, then?




http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/2565646758_07031fcaff.jpg

1 comment: